Thursday, August 31, 2006

Gems

Oh, this book is so awesome:
I can think of two very good reasons for not splitting an infinitive.
  1. Because you feel that the rules of English ought to conform to the grammatical precepts of a language that died a thousand years ago.

  2. Because you wish to cling to a pointless affectation of usage that is without the support of any recognized authority of the last 200 years, even at the cost of composing sentences that are ambiguous, inelegant, and patently contorted.

  3. [from the mother tongue: english and how it got that way by Bill Bryson]
In my most recent Shakespeare class, the prof took marks off for split infinitives. I maintain that the rule of the split infinitive is an urban myth. On the other hand, there are some people who think I'm too draconian and fastidious about grammatical things. I just can't fathom how "then" and "than" and proper punctuation and the simple difference between superlatives and comparatives can be so difficult for some people. You don't have to know the terminology to use the darn language right, either.

[By the way, a split infinitive is putting an adjective between the "to" and the "verb," as in "to quickly run." Some people would have you believe that this is impossible, just because in Latin the phrase would be currere celeriter, and you can see how it is impossible to split the infinitive currere, therefore the proper English rendering would be "to run quickly" ... ok enough of that. Oh, how I would love to turn this blog into a series of lessons in little-known linguistic and etymological(?) trivia!]

I suppose I never formally acknowledged that I finished my degree early last week. Or that I also turned 22 a little earlier last week. Both are duly noted. But we must never speak of either.

Oh, and as of today I have become a nomad. Good thing I have a caravan of llamas under my command. By the way, if anyone would like, say, 5 brown female baby llamas, you should really contact me. Really.

4 comments:

Blake said...

mmmm, llama

Anonymous said...

Let's have some more lessons in little-known linguistic and etymological trivia. That, and this blog should contain the phrase "to boldly go" more often.

-rt

Anonymous said...

I also like the new "DO NOT CLICK" button. I think we all need more buttons to click on. You can never have enough of those.

-rt

Lapsura said...

What?? You clicked it?! But it clearly says you're not supposed to! People never follow directions.